Sunday, November 16, 2014

045 A Complete Review of Taylor Swift's "1989"

Introduction: Taylor Swift's album has been out for a couple weeks and it's still in my head, it's still my top played in iTunes, and it's still my favorite of everything. 1.3 million copies were sold during the first week, giving it the status of a 'Platinum' album, and I think Taylor really deserved it. This album is gold, every single song in it. I'll definitely miss her old style, especially with "Everything Has Changed" and "Ours" and "Love Story", but I'm so glad she's venturing into pop now.

1989, aka the best album in the world.


Here are some further thoughts. (And snippets of lyrics with interpretive colours).


1) Welcome to New York
This is probably one of the less great tracks on the album, but it sets the scene and gives a good impression for what's coming afterwards. It's very pop, very loud, and very flashy. It probably doesn't describe New York so much as Taylor herself and her shift from country to pop: "It’s a new soundtrack I could dance to this beat, beat / Forevermore." It's definitely a new soundtrack, and personally, I could probably dance to this beat forevermore.

Walking through a crowd
The village is aglow
Kaleidoscope of loud heartbeats
Under coats
Everybody here wanted something more
Searching for a sound we hadn’t heard before
And it said

Welcome to New York
It’s been waiting for you



2) Blank Space
This one's a gem. The tune is incredibly catchy, and the lyrics are witty, smooth, and great. Taylor Swift manages to mock the media for mocking her love life. This isn't so much about guys as the fact that Taylor Swift is a crazy cat lady slash serial dater and she knows it. The music video is too beautiful and it's crazy and I love it. Her outfits in the music video are gorgeous, and Taylor just shows the world again that she's just good at music videos and no one can deny it. And to the people who think she's saying 'Starbucks lovers', I've listened to this track exactly 73 times (according to iTunes) and not once have I been able to hear it. (Also, is it just me or is "perfect storms" used a lot in this album?? What does that even MEAN???)

So it's gonna be forever
Or it's gonna go down in flames
You can tell me when it's over
If the high was worth the pain
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game

Cause we're young and we're reckless
We'll take this way too far
It'll leave you breathless
Or with a nasty scar
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
But I got a blank space baby
And I'll write your name



3) Style
My personal favorite. Props to whoever wrote the guitar bits in the background (not sure what they're called). It's a song about a guy, even though she said she wouldn't write about guys anymore. Totally lying. But it also talks about endless style and unhealthy relationships. She's more reserved in this song, but it's also very passionate, just not the "Whatever I don't care" type of passionate in 'Blank Space' or 'Shake it Off'. The tune is again, super catchy, and I think it's completely underrated. When I first listened to this album, this was the one that stuck out for me. Best on the album.

You got that James Dean day dream look in your eye
And I got that red lip classic thing that you like
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time.
Cause we never go out of style
We never go out of style

You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt.
And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt,
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time.
Cause we never go out of style
We never go out of style.



4) Out of the Woods
One word: Intense. Or maybe two words: Super Intense. This song is a huge layered concoction that completely overwhelms the listener (in a good way, at least if you like it). Especially love the line "But the monsters turned out to be just trees".

Remember when you hit the brakes too soon
Twenty stitches in a hospital room
When you started crying
Baby, I did too
But when the sun came up
I was looking at you
Remember when we couldn’t take the heat
I walked out, I said “I’m setting you free”
But the monsters turned out to be just trees
When the sun came up
You were looking at me.



5) All You Had To Do Was Stay
This song is catchy, not my top three, but definitely not bad, either. Another Taylor break-up song, but with a good pop tone. Not outstanding compared to other songs on this album, but if released by itself, definitely merits popularity.

Stay
Hey, all you had to do was stay
Had me in the palm of your hand
Man, why'd you have to go and lock me out when I let you in
Stay, hey, now you say you want it
Back, now that it's just too late
Well could've been easy, all you had to do was stay
All you had to do was stay



6) Shake it Off
How to describe this song? Unbearably catchy (in a good way)? There is no way I can listen to this song without singing or dancing or doing a weird jiggle. When it comes on the radio, just the first part without her singing gets me dancing. Then Taylor starts singing and I'm trapped. If you pause this song before it ends, it will haunt you for the rest of your day. Most people don't like her rapping bit, personally, I find it fine. The music video is really funny and beautifully executed, but also a bit strange, almost Gangnam-esque. This song is my ringtone, I love it a lot.

I stay up too late
Got nothing in my brain
That's what people say
That's what people say
I go on too many dates
But I can't make them stay
At least that's what people say
That's what people say
But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music
In my mind, saying it's gonna be alright


Cause the players gonna play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
Shake it off

Shake it off!


7) I Wish You Would
Starts off a bit slow, even a bit off-tune, but goes on to be super catchy (again) and intense. Really strong beat and 'guitar bits', to quote myself. "I- I-, I wish I wish I..."

It's 2 am in your car
Windows down, you pass my street, the memories start
You say it's in the past, you drive straight ahead
You're thinking that I hate you now
Cause you still don't know what I never said

I wish you would come back
Wish I never hung up the phone like I did, and I
Wish you'd know that I'll never forget you as long as I live, and I
Wish you were right here, right now, it's all good, I wish you would.



8) Bad Blood
This is kind of a strange song, doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. Reminds me of another artist, but I can't remember who. The first time I heard this song, I thought I heard it before. Did that happen to anyone else? Because this song is super catchy, but I feel like I've heard something very similar to it. Apparently it's about Katy Perry, which I'm not going to comment on because I love Katy Perry and Taylor Swift and the fact that they have this feud going on breaks my heart. This song starts on very strong, scared me a bit. Nargles really loves this song, and I've grown to like it more. Still, it definitely sounds like someone else's music... but whose?

Hey!
Now we got problems
And I don't think we can solve them
You made a really deep cut
And baby now we got bad blood
Hey!

Band-Aids don't fix bullet holes
You say sorry just for show
You live like that, you live with ghosts
Band-Aids don't fix bullet holes
You say sorry just for show
You live like that, you live with ghosts
If you love like that, BLOOD RUNS COLD.



9) Wildest Dreams
Is it possible to listen to this song without thinking of Lana del Rey? The background sounds like one from a Lana del Rey song, and Taylor herself even sounds like Lana. For me, this song isn't Taylor Swift at all, but I'm glad she made it. Catchy chorus, very spooky and almost a little nostalgic. Compare to 'Summertime Sadness' or 'Dark Paradise' (both, you will notice, are by Lana del Rey).

Say you'll remember me
Standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset, babe
Red lips and rosy cheeks
Say you'll see me again even if it's just pretend

Say you'll remember me
Standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset babe
Red lips and rosy cheeks
Say you'll see me again even if it's just in your wildest dreams
In your wildest dreams
Even if it's just in your wildest dreams
In your wildest dreams



10) How You Get the Girl
If there's any song in this album I don't like (which there isn't), it would probably be this one. Nothing very outstanding or special about it. The lyrics look better than the song sounds, which is probably not a good thing. I wouldn't mind listening to it, but not one of my particular favorites. Then again, I haven't really given it a good chance. I listened to it once, decided I didn't really like it, and removed it from my playlist. So I haven't listened to it for a while. Let me listen again.

Update: I like it. Catchy beat. I forgot the chorus was so catchy. I actually really like it. A little bit too much background noise, but still extremely catchy. Very guitary/drummy. (Yes, I'm a professional musician). (No, I'm not). *Adding this back to my playlist*

I want you for worse or for better
I would wait for ever and ever
Broke your heart, I'll put it back together
I would wait for ever and ever

And that's how it works
That's how you get the girl, girl, oh
And that's how it works
That's how you get the girl, girl



11) This Love
Beautifully slow song, kind of sounds like a giant ocean wave. Very calming. Also very intense during the chorus, but it's a welcome break from the flashy beats of all the tracks above. One of my favorites. Probably not as big and bold, but definitely not to be forgotten. Almost reminds me of the Hunger Games, not sure why.

Clear blue,
Water,
High tide came and brought you in
And I could go on and on, on and on, and I will
Skies grew darker, 

Currents swept you out again
And you were just gone and gone, gone and gone

In silent screams,
In wildest dreams
I never dreamed of this

This love is good, this love is bad
This love is alive back from the dead (Ohh)
These hands had to let it go free
And this love came back to me (Ohh)



12) I Know Places
This song also doesn't really fit in with the rest, but in a definitely good way. Starts off in a choppy, sinister minor key, then transitions into an explodingly major chorus. Super interesting to listen to, and the lyrics are meaningful too. They describe a celebrity couple running from the paparazzi, and how their relationship is limited by the public, using the metaphor of foxes and hunters. I don't think this song even counts as pop. I don't think Taylor Swift even counts as pop or country, she's just 'catchy'. Whatever her genre is, I love it and I want more.

You stand with a hand on my waist line
Good to see that we're out here in plain sight
I can hear them whisper as we pass by
It's a bad sign, bad sign.


Something happens when everybody finds out
See the vultures circling in dark clouds
Love's a fragile little flame 

It could burn out
It could burn out 


Cause they got their cages, they got their boxes
And guns
They are the hunters, we are the foxes 
And we run.

Baby...

I know places we won't be found 
And they'll be 
Chasing their tails trying to track us down
Cause I

I know places we can 
Hide
I know places


13) Clean
I never really got into Imogen Heap, but if all her songs are written like this, watch out Imogen Heap, I'm coming for you. Ultra clean and refreshing, not messy or overbearing at all. There's some sort of xylophone sound in the background during the chorus, and I really like it. Very unique. This song might not be super catchy or memorable, but listening to it is a beautiful experience. This album starts out flashy and impressive, and ends on a fresh, sober tone. Absolutely perfect.

The drought was the very worst
When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst
It was months, and months of back and forth
You're still all over me like I wine-stained dress I can't wear anymore
Hung my head, as I lost the war, and the sky turn black like a perfect storm

Rain came pouring 

Down when I was drowning,
That's when I could finally breathe.
And that morning,

Gone was any trace of you
I think I am finally clean


Bonus 14) Wonderland
As you might have guessed, this song is about Alice in Wonderland (not really but sometimes). It's almost a bit cutesy in the beginning and very bright and glockenspiely. I personally love this song a lot, and I'm upset it's not on the actual album. Super catchy. Reminds me of Rihanna's 'Umbrella' with all the eh's.

Didn't they tell us don't rush into things
Didn't you flash your green eyes at me
Didn't you calm my fears with a Cheshire cat smile
Didn't it all seem new and exciting
I felt your arms twisting around me
It's all fun and games 'til somebody loses their mind


But darling
We found Wonderland
You and I got lost in it
And we pretended it could last forever
We found wonderland
You and I got lost in it
And life was never worse but never better
In Wonderland
In Wonderland



Bonus 15) You Are in Love
Similar to "This Love", very calm and quiet until the chorus, which is another intense one. Beautiful lyrics about a beautiful love. Actually, now that I think of it, super super similar to "This Love". Again, should be included in album.

You fight and you talk
One night he wakes, strange look on his face
Pauses, then says, you're my best friend
And you knew what it was, he is in love

You can hear it in the silence, silence
You can feel it on the way home, way home
You can see it with the lights out, lights out
You're in love, true love



Bonus 16) New Romantics
Fast paced, loud, catchy, reminds me of converse shoes and teenage rebellion. Definitely should be on the actual album.

We're all here
The lights and noise are blinding
We hang back
It's all in the timing
It's poker, you can't see in my face
But I'm about to play my ace
We need love, but all we want is danger
We team up and switch sides like a record changer
The rumours, are terrible and cruel
But honey most of them are true...

Cause baby I could build a castle
Out of all the bricks they threw at me
And every day it's like battle
But every night with us is like a dream
Baby we're the new romantics
Come on, come along with me
Heart break is the national anthem
We sing it proudly
We're too busy dancing
To get knocked off our feet
Baby we're the new romantics
The best people in life are free



Conclusion: So many styles and genres. These songs are all so different and all so perfect; it's hard to find an album like this one with so many jewels. Taylor deserves every single listener she gets. And the album artwork is so classy and unique. I want the physical copy of the album really badly, but my computer doesn't have a hard drive. Still, I want the artsy polaroids. I don't fully understand why some people dislike this album, but then again, they probably don't understand why I love it so much. Whatever, de gustibus non est disputandum: in matters of tastes, there can be no disputes. Just know that I highly recommend this album, a full five stars, and you go Taylor Swift.

#TS1989

Best wishes,
Quibbles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi reader! What are your thoughts on this subject? Please comment below, we'd love to know!