Thursday, July 10, 2014

001 Technology has become a part of us. Would you rather lose the use of all motorized vehicles, all telecommunication devices and computers, or one of your hands?

I think this one's easy for me. I would rather lose the use of all motorized vehicles.

That doesn't mean I'd relinquish my cars, planes, trains without a thought. My dad lives in China, and I have math classes that take place about twenty miles away from my town. It would be a pain just to go to the grocery store. But it would probably be just that: just a pain, an annoyance to someone as lazy as I am.

I would definitely not want to lose all telecommunication devices and computers. This wouldn't be just a pain; it would be murder, censorship, and danger. Without the hospital, without communication in the hospital, I can guarantee that nearly every patient would die. Looking at the situation in North Korea, it's easy to see how the loss of telecommunication devices and computers makes it easy to control a group of people. And what would I do if I got lost in a city, or stuck in a party gone wild? Without an easy connection to safety, I would be lost and so scared.

As for the hand, I am vain enough to say that I'm scared to be judged for the loss of a hand. I also couldn't imagine accomplishing anything without a hand, and if I had to lose two things on the list above, I would save my hand. If I lost my hand, I would lose a great deal of my identity, including my hobbies and my self-confidence. It's common to take health for granted, but it's the assumption behind every wish and goal.

It's difficult to choose among the three, because each one is such a big part of my life.

- Quibbles 7/10/14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi reader! What are your thoughts on this subject? Please comment below, we'd love to know!