Wednesday, July 30, 2014

013 On a typical Sunday, 10,000 people visit the Louvre in Paris. If a wicked sorcerer threatened to vaporize all the museum’s visitors or all of its art, sparing one or the other based on your plea, which would you save? Assume the sorcerer will obliterate both the people and the art if you don’t choose.

I would definitely choose the people. No question about it.

Because who is art made by? People. And if I kill 10,000 people, think about all the art, writing, and music that might be lost? Even if old art is lost, there is always new art that follows. Our culture is made up of people who take the time enjoy their passions. If I kill 10,000 people, the effect is incredibly damaging.

Technicalities aside, I wouldn't feel too great if I let 10,000 people die. Not only are they all random civilians, they also have families, friends, and jobs. I don't think I have it in me to end 10,000 lives, all the while spreading a whole web of grief and suffering.

I mean, who am I kidding? I can't even bear to step on a spider, let alone KILL 10,000 PEOPLE.

Lives are worth more than anything. And if that means millions of pieces of cherished artwork are going to be "obliterated", then so be it. What do you think, Nargles?

- Quibbles 7/30/14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi reader! What are your thoughts on this subject? Please comment below, we'd love to know!