Wednesday, August 13, 2014

025 Does a beautiful creature merit more compassion than an ugly one? If so, why? Do you injure yourself psychologically by destroying something you find beautiful? Is there a meaningful difference between pulling the wings off an insect and stepping on it? How much would it take to induce you to rip the wings off a hummingbird or dove?

I think I'm going to be taking the reins for the updates and postings this week, as I know Quibbles has lots of school work ("During the summer?" you ask. Don't ask) that she really needs to catch up on. In addition, I was gone for the whole of last week, so I owe you guys extra!

Addressing the question above, beauty is not the same to everyone, and there is beauty in everything. I may not see the beauty of an ant crawling past my shoe on the sidewalk, but I can admire the beauty in the way each ant works tirelessly for the good of the colony, how every ant has a job and a purpose. I don't admire gravity, or see it's beauty most of the time, but I can see the beauty in the way it holds us and the universe in a delicate balance.

I do believe, however, that humans are genetically engineered to favor beautiful things, or the things we find beautiful, over others. If you trace back to primitive times, it was just good logic. The cavemen with the smushed up face who walked with a limp, female cavewomen probably didn't want to reproduce with because, come on, do you really think this guy can protect you and your future offspring? Heck no! He couldn't even protect himself. Back then, if you were the best looking caveman around, you probably had the best genes, and all the caveladies were digging that.

Can you tell which face is symmetrical and which is the original? Which do you think looks better?
I think beauty within humans first and foremost is associated with health, and genetics. It's said that people who are thought to be more beautiful have more symmetrical faces. Most of the time girls (and guys!) drool over guys with big muscles because they appear fit and are confident in their ability to protect them should they ever need it. Of course, nowadays men don't need big muscles and aesthetically pleasing faces (though you usually think your partner does indeed have a nice face) to find a partner because as you get to know them, and start to love them, of course they're beautiful.

NOW FINALLY REALLY GETTING TO THE QUESTION

Panda caretaker dressed in a specialized
suit designed to make pandas believe
they too are a panda. And in order to
be a panda, you have to smell like one.
That's right, panda dung and urine is
rubbed allover the exterior of the suit.
Them pandas don't even know the
difference :P
Although more "beautiful" creatures don't deserve more compassion than "ugly" creates, there's no doubt they receive more. One example I like is pandas compared to other animals. Think of how much money the world sinks into the preservation of pandas and their return to the mountains of China. I am all for it, PANDAS ARE SO CUTE. Everyone cares for pandas and wants them around for a long time, but what about the anglerfish?!? Even I must admit anglerfish are have pretty hard features, with a protruding underbite and long comb-like teeth. They're super awesome, but darn scary, man.

I think that some of the reasons why we don't feel as much compassions for some creatures than others is because we believe they have the capability to hurt us. We see the anglerfishes' teeth and we think "danger." When we see pandas we think "cuddle!!!" Or at least I do... However, a full grown panda is probably is more able to kill us than an anglerfish. One swipe from that mighty paw, and you're a goner.

I think we don't feel nearly as much compassion for insects rather than animals because we don't see them on the same level of awareness as us. With insects, all they care about is survival and reproduction. We view them as having no intelligence and not human. Animals are the closest ones to us that demonstrate qualities like ours (because we're animals too!).

It's interesting to think about these questions because I would never dream of killing a dragonfly or butterfly, but an ant, sure, why not? It's just an ant. As for ripping the wings off a dove or hummingbird? Never, not for any amount of money, no thanks. I don't think I'd do it for anything, and that makes me selfish because if I could end war forever by ripping off one dove's wings, I wouldn't. Dragonfly, maybe. Squish an ant? Definitely.

I left out the question that asks, "Do you injure yourself  psychologically by destroying something you find beautiful?" I think I'll leave it to Quibbles if she has time to return and post tomorrow. Seriously guys, she's crazy busy and worked to the bone.

Love always,
- Nargles 8/13/14

PS. The Economic Benefits of Being Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi reader! What are your thoughts on this subject? Please comment below, we'd love to know!